Mary Hanna

Mary Hanna

Although this is my second semester working as an LA, I did not fully understand its role in the classroom.  My first encounter with an LA was in MAC 2311 in the spring semester of 2021. Although this is when all classes were still consistently on zoom, with the help of different Learning assistants, they encouraged me. Even though my learning was not done in person, but rather over a computer screen they assisted in understanding the material that did not come easy to me. This was not the last course where I would grow to appreciate all the learning assistants. BSC 2010 was a course where I was paired with the same LA all semester. This individual made such an impression on me, I got to learn new study habits which I still use in my other science courses today. She made herself available to me beyond her office hours and was there as a mentor. She truly inspired me to be a Learning assistant and to be available and facilitate learning with other students. My first semester as an LA was in the fall of 2022, I was excited but unsure of what to expect with the role. I am now a learning assistant for CHM 1045. Through my experience as an LA, I have become more outspoken and confident.

One of the best experiences of being an LA is forming relationships with students, being able to hold office hours and consistently see students show up and want to improve warms my heart. It really brings me joy to see that what I am doing makes a difference in these students’ lives. For some of these students, this is the first science course they will take at Florida State. CHM 1045, even though it is thought of as a hard class, has been so rewarding to encourage these students and see some of them decide that they want to go into healthcare. Overall, the LA program has been an incredible experience for me and played a big role in my time at Florida State. This is something I will continue through graduation and encourage others to become involved in as well.